Sunday, July 6, 2008

What have I been doing?

"Then, at the urging of Portland Commissioner Randy Leonard, a joint city-county task force began meeting in May to study service and financing options for animal services inside Portland city limits. "

http://www.oregonlive.com/metroeast/oregonian/index.ssf?/base/metro_east_news/1214951113247720.xml&coll=7

This article is not the best view of the issues. As these Task Force meeting continue I am increasingly convinced there is no best view. We Task Force members are doing what we can to weave together near cacophony of different opinions, concerns and demands to work through the process of finding out what is to be done to provide the Portland metro area with the animal services it needs.

If only there were some what to check the agendas at the door!

In the past, at other shelters, I have seen very successful work using inmate work crews to help with animal shelter chores and up-keep. It is a win-win-win situation when handled correctly. The animals get the care they need, the staff gets to spent their time on more skills intensive tasks, the inmates get a dose of humanity and animal bonding.

I’m going to float this at our next meeting, after talking some with the shelter where I’ve seen this sort of program work so well.

Wish me luck!

1 comment:

Happy Camper said...

I need to go back & read the article again...I do know we have on different levels, had inmate programs ( pups on parole) You might ask Cindy Sabatoni of Washoe County Regional Animal Services for details. I am always concerned about continuity with animal work. And, no people never leave their agenda at the door, it is always carried in the back pocket...